Friday, August 26, 2011

" Hurricane Ismael" The Killer Hurricane of Mid September 1995

 Good Morning to All Lovely On This Warm Summer Morning  
   How vividly I remember the fall of 1995.I had been watching a weather system for days as it approached the Mexican Southern West Coast Mainland.Before it made landfall it turned to the Northwest and wind speeds intensified.
   Before Ismael approached Nayarit I strongly felt that I needed to warn all shrimp boats and all fishermen in the waters off the states of Sinaloa and Sonora.I knew a disaster was imminent as the only other weather service available to the Mexican fishermen was treating this hurricane as a minor storm.It was first reported by me on September 10 with a stern warning.Shrimp boat owners told their crews to "stay at sea and to continue to work".It was the beginning of the shrimp fishing season and catches were excellent.....
   The hurricane swept through the waters of Sinaloa and Sonora and sunk 180 vessels leaving almost 400 families without their husbands/fathers or a means of support.It was a disaster felt by every person in this country.National reports played this incident down as all foreign disasters are.
   The crews from the vessels from our state of Nayarit who heard my forecast said "if Capt Norman tells us to go to port-we go! ".No one from our state of Nayarit lost his life or was injured.On the 16th of September the primary television and radio station in Mexico "Televisa"called me at my home to commend me for "saving hundreds and hundreds of lives".I was also commended By Mexico's FCC.My only reply was that I wish I could have saved more.
   It is apropos at this time to say to all be very thankful to Mr.Donald Anderson.He like myself has devoted his life to help protect the life of all visiting boaters in Mexico with his excellent weather reports and many forms of assistance.   Good Day......      Norm     Aleha Shalom (heb.)   --<"))))))))))-(

No comments:

Post a Comment